How to poach an egg

Poached eggs

When I was small I used to hate poached eggs. As I grew older I realized the benefits of the poached egg and I really began to like it, however, I could never get it right.

Most times the egg would come out mushy and tasteless. Then I got a poached egg made from a restaurant and I was hooked. I had no idea what they did to make the thing so perfect but I was determined to find the right technique.


Poaching an egg takes a little technique but with practice you should get it right.
It is best to use farm fresh eggs for poaching, as opposed the days old eggs for boiling.
Place three inches of water in a saucepan. One of the reasons why most poached eggs fail is not enough water in the pan. This I learned through trial and error.
Bring the water to a boil on medium and add a teaspoon of vinegar. The vinegar prevents the egg from making egg soup. Reduce flames to medium low. Crack the egg in a saucer and gently lower in the water. The water should not be bubbling but more of a simmer. Let the egg cook for about 2 ½ to 3½ minutes. Never touch the egg until removing. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water.
The white should be firm and the yolk nice and runny.
This is great for your eggs Benedict recipe. Get this right and you'll be smiling all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly leave your feedback. No spam or negative remarks will be allowed.